News: Training the Trainers – Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Hepp has appointed Sonia Hardwick until the end of this academic year to develop our CPD offer. Within Hepp, we recognise that there are only so many face-to-face encounters with higher education that we can deliver to all the region’s young people. Whether through lessons in schools by careers advisers, advice from external organisations or conversations with trusted adults, we are just one part of a wider landscape informing young people about their future options and pathways.
We already have excellent resources on our website that can help teachers and advisers provide young people with accurate and accessible information that can raise aspirations and help navigate decisions. But we never rest on our laurels and want to do more.
We know that time pressure and competing demands are an unavoidable reality of modern life, but we envisage this new role will make things easier by:
- Showing careers advisers how to use and blend the Hepp resources into lessons
- Creating ways for mainstream teachers to blend Hepp content into subject-specific lessons
- Providing current information for other adults from whom young people are seeking advice, who might not know much about higher education or have out-of-date information or views
- Explaining some of the more recent or peripheral parts of the higher education landscape, such as T Levels or Higher/Degree Apprenticeships
- Giving context to the need for higher education, including the labour market information, skills and informed views of the future world of work
There is already lots of information available on the internet, so our role will be to signpost to great resources, where possible, and produce new resources to fill gaps, where necessary. We‘re also planning events where we can provide learning and information directly, rather than just online.
This is a role we’re still shaping, so if you’ve got a “if only Hepp could do XYZ then I could help the young people I speak to understand higher education so much better” thought – then please do get in touch with Sonia. You can ring her on 0114 225 5154 or email her at S.Hardwick@shu.ac.uk
And if you’re thinking “what are these online resources?!”, then please do set up an account to access the materials on the Hepp website. Click here or Register Now in the top right-hand corner of the page.